Anyone here getting Sim City?

Posted by Admin DHAdmin on 2/27/13 03:20 AM #1

I spent WAY too much time with Sim City 2000 when I was a kid and I am beyond excited for this one. Which just happens to release in less than a week!

I was invited to the closed beta that is going on, which will run from 5:00 PM (PST) to 9:00 PM (PST) today and feature the full game unlocked to play with. Even if it's only for a few hours, I am super excited to get a chance to play it.

For now.. I need to go to bed.

Posted by Member ecocd on 2/27/13 06:45 AM #2

Sim City 4 was a bit of a disappointment for me so I'm kind of put off by the series now. $60 is a pretty steep price tag without trying it beforehand.

I'd love to hear your thoughts after the closed beta tonight if you see the potential depth that could please an obsessive gamer. Maybe I'll wait to see if it ever goes on sale through the Origin Store. Does anyone know if Origin tries to match the awesome sales Steam sometimes offers?
Posted by Member razer22 on 2/27/13 06:53 AM #3

I've never tried Sim City. Does the fun lie in being able to create a person and have him/her progress in life? Is it like raising a pet? Or using the character to maybe do things you would never do in real life?
Posted by Admin DHAdmin on 2/27/13 01:44 PM #4

Posted by razer22 at 02/27/2013 06:53 AM

I've never tried Sim City. Does the fun lie in being able to create a person and have him/her progress in life? Is it like raising a pet? Or using the character to maybe do things you would never do in real life?

Sim City is building an entire city and managing your economy, pollution, business and things like that. What you are thinking of is the Sims.
Posted by Member razer22 on 2/27/13 05:17 PM #5

@Anuiran Oh riiiight, I was thinking of the Sims' series. Should've did some elementary research before asking those questions.
Posted by Member EnzyOne on 2/28/13 05:39 AM #6

I used to play Sim City (Had a copy on 3 1/4".) and Sim City 2000. I saw the trailer and preorder for the new one, but I think I can wait...

I do have Starcraft II: HotS on preorder, but I only did that for the Blade Wings. =\

Please share your thoughts of the new installment with us. =)
Posted by Member ecocd on 2/28/13 08:00 AM #7

@Anuiran What's the verdict?
Posted by Member Metta on 2/28/13 12:55 PM #8

I'm an SNES kid, so I remember playing Sim City on SNES a ton. I remember using the million dollar cheat because otherwise, the game was damn near impossible to play at any reasonable pace. You just wouldn't earn any money through taxes. I never got a Megalopolis; I was stuck at Metropolis pretty much every single time I came back at it. The game itself was kinda bizarre; you had to build in a certain pattern with certain spacings or your city would simply not grow. It made some sense from a basic common sense perspective, but at the higher levels, you had to do some weird things to increase your population.

Man, that Dr. Wright theme is some overwhelming nostalgia...
Posted by Admin DHAdmin on 2/28/13 01:40 PM #9

I feel the map size is way too small and they made some simplifications that I feel help the game. You no longer need to place down powerlines or water pipes, as that all automatically follows your roads.

Otherwise it was super fun and there is a lot of depth that is forced by the map constraints, you cannot have a jack of all trades city. Instead you have to import certain things from neighboring city's.
Posted by Member ecocd on 2/28/13 03:25 PM #10

@Anuiran Do you build the neighboring cities? Is it some fancy Cloud based system where you import and export to othrr players' cities?
Posted by Admin DHAdmin on 2/28/13 03:26 PM #11

You make cities in regions. You can have an open region where anyone can make a neighboring city or a private region where you only play with your friends.

The neighboring cities are made by other players and you can trade resources and services like electricity or police services. "Great Works" are also shared between regions such as an international airport or solar farm.

Edit: Also if you didn't know the game is always online like Diablo 3.
Posted by Member Khan on 2/28/13 03:50 PM #12

Damn. I'm getting it.
Posted by Admin DHAdmin on 2/28/13 05:32 PM #13

I will be making a region with a max of 16 players when the game launches if anyone wants to join.

It will be one of these three regions:

Viridian Woods
Titan Gorge
Discovery Delta
Posted by Member Mehsiah on 3/7/13 08:19 AM #14

After watching a few streams on Twitch, I think Im sold.

I was a fan of the Sims back in the day (The first/2nd one) and just watching the streams really has got me wanting to buy it. I like the whole concept of building a city. Plus the coolest part was the one natural disaster, gonzilla. Haha.
Posted by Member EnzyOne on 3/10/13 07:38 AM #15

Count me in, mate. Sounds interesting. =)
Posted by Member Khan on 3/10/13 01:03 PM #16

@Anuiran Are things better with the servers? I haven't purchased yet. Just waiting till they get the bugs out.
Posted by Admin DHAdmin on 3/10/13 01:34 PM #17

Posted by Khan at 03/10/2013 01:03 PM

@Anuiran Are things better with the servers? I haven't purchased yet. Just waiting till they get the bugs out.

I haven't played the game since launch, I am also waiting for issues to be fixed. Plus my hard drive crapped out on friday, so no games for me! However the one city I did make was rather fun to play around with. Unfortunately my friends are still having issues with the game.

I am iPhone only till I get my computer working again, yay angry birds?
Posted by Member Mehsiah on 3/10/13 08:15 PM #18

I bought it and its been a load of fun. Made 1 decent town so far with like 17k+ people, was making 8k simonians or w.e an hour. Ive had some little problems but getting online and playing has been smooth.

Add me on Orgin:

Mehsiah_Jon

**Also they have it intergreted were you can use Orgin to stream directly to twitch.tv. Don't rly need the sxtra monthly software., Check my quick video, I know its crappy quality. http://www.twitch.tv/mehsiah/videos?kind=past_broadcasts **
Posted by Admin DHAdmin on 3/11/13 01:54 PM #19

The Twitch.tv integration is very cool. I hope this becomes the standard for video games now that Playstation 4 is implementing it in every game.

Posted by Member EnzyOne on 5/2/13 12:12 PM #20

What server are you on, @Anuiran? I have you as a friend on Origin, but cannot find you in Sim City itself.

Posted by Admin DHAdmin on 5/2/13 02:04 PM #21

US West 1, although I have not played in a long time.
Posted by Member ecocd on 5/8/13 11:08 AM #22

EA announced Sims 4 will have an off-line component after previously hinting it was going to be online-only. Simcity fans now can find some solace in the fact that their suffering has likely helped another rabid fanbase.
Posted by Member ninjax on 5/9/13 04:02 AM #23

What are peoples thoughts now it's been out for some time? I don't game much apart from Diablo and LoL but this was one title I was considering.