Blizzard Quote [source]
Legendary: An Ancient & Primal Guide
Ancient items play a pivotal role in Season 17.
Each Ancient you kit out will yield a huge 750% increase to damage inflicted and a 4% decrease in damage sustained.
First, for those of you who've taken a rest from collecting loot, let's step back and take a refresher to clear up any mis-understandings regarding the differences between Legendary, Ancient and Primal Ancient items.
Essentially, Ancient Items and Primal Ancient items are more powerful variations of Legendary items. They are equivalent to Legendary items but for the fact that their essential attributes (damage or armor) and all their potential values can yield boosted results for lowest and highest possible rolls.
Ancient & Primal Ancient Items
- The stats on these items will (generally) be tailored to the character class you are playing when the item drops
- Set items are also able to roll as both Ancient and Primal Ancient
- You can't equip more than one item with the same name, even if one is Ancient and the other isn't
- Any percentage-based affix will not be boosted (such as Attack Speed, bonus % to skills or % Critical Hit Chance/Damage)
- Only drop for characters who have reached level 70, and only on Torment level difficulties
- When dropped, Ancient items share the same orange glow as regular Legendaries
- You must identify the item to see if it's an Ancient
- Once identified, Ancient items have an orange border (or green for Set items) around the item tooltip and say "Ancient" in the item description.
- They drop from all sources including monsters, chests, Kadala, Horadric Caches, Kanai's Cube, and even crafting at the Blacksmith or Jeweler
Primal Ancient Items
- When dropped, Primal Ancient items have a red beam and glow
- Drops from any source of Legendary item in the game, including Horadric Caches, Kadala, and Kanai's Cube, but only after having successfully completed at least a level 70 Greater Rift solo
- These items are much rarer than Ancient items and have perfect Ancient-level stats on all affixes, including the item's Legendary Power
Primal Ancients & Developer Philosophy
Primal Ancients are intended for Diablo III players who have mostly finished their build or finished their Season 17 Journey but want to carry on in this Season. They're also intended for non-Seasonal players who have awesome kit and spend most of their time gaining Paragon Levels and upgrading Legendary Gems. We wanted to extend the excitement of seeing gear drop or spending Blood Shards at Kadala beyond obtaining Ancients in every slot. Primals provide an avenue for dedicated players to complete a build, without feeling like required upgrades.
We hope that answers any questions you may have about Ancients and Primal Ancients.
Now off you go!