Progression through inferno

Posted by Member AgingWarden on 8/1/12 04:31 PM #1

For the more accomplished Wizards out there:

What sort of numbers should I be looking at if I want to progress through Act 2+ Inferno?
Currently, I'm rocking about 21k dps, 5.1k armour and 520ish all resists (after prismatic). I'm yet to give in to gearing up through the Auction House and grinding does get a little monotonous, especially if I don't know what I'm looking for.
Also, I am running 2H using Blizzard/Hydra kiting combo (with Glass cannon and Cold blooded). I have tried to go through Act 2 and I can progress, all be it slowly and at great repair expense.

Thanks guys!
Posted by Member sabin on 8/1/12 04:47 PM #2

If you don't mind playing coop, you could find a barb to play with. Warcry/Impunity will help your suvivability a ton. Since he was tanking, I used DS with the prism rune, which allowed me to nearly constantly cast disintegrate (along with blizz/hydra). Since almost every barb uses warcry, it probably wouldn't even be hard to find one to play with in pub games.

If you eventually decide to use the AH, the critical mass / wicked wind, or melee builds can be a lot of fun. If you're relying on items you find yourself you will have a hard time getting enough crit to make those work (need over 30% generally).
Posted by Member Tonatu on 8/1/12 04:51 PM #3

I was having trouble with my Wizard for a long time, it took me forever to get enough all resistance so that I could take a couple hits. I have gotten pretty good at kiting recently, also I am thinking of trying out a critical mass build where you can keep monsters frozen for pretty much forever. Just gotta have a ton of crit and here's the build

Here's a video of it too, critical mass video
Posted by Member nerdybeat on 8/1/12 05:45 PM #4

Crit Mass build has been great for me recently. Great solo potential. However the gear you want to aim for puts you at at least 35% crit, 150%+ crit dmg, 850+ all res, and some IAS and LOH if you can.
Posted by Member Paridoc on 8/1/12 05:56 PM #5

If you're not using the ah to gear up, your best off sticking with a kiting build, as all the crit gear you need for a CM build is tough to find.
Posted by Member Benjidatramp on 8/1/12 06:09 PM #6

Posted by AgingWarden at 08/01/2012 04:31 PM

For the more accomplished Wizards out there:

What sort of numbers should I be looking at if I want to progress through Act 2+ Inferno?
Currently, I'm rocking about 21k dps, 5.1k armour and 520ish all resists (after prismatic). I'm yet to give in to gearing up through the Auction House and grinding does get a little monotonous, especially if I don't know what I'm looking for.
Also, I am running 2H using Blizzard/Hydra kiting combo (with Glass cannon and Cold blooded). I have tried to go through Act 2 and I can progress, all be it slowly and at great repair expense.

Thanks guys!

I did act 2 with my wizard pre patch. I ran a blizz/hydra build with similar stats (less resists) than yours. Here are my suggestions.

1. At that resist level run force armor over prismatic. you will find it better.
2. Trade the 2h for a 1h and source. (if you can find it). It greatly increases survivability. I switeched from 2h about 1/2 way through act 2 as I could not get spells off quick enough to survive.
3. Trade blizz for arcane orb/celestial. I changed to this build and it was great for act 2. Act 3 will be a challenge.

Teleport Fracture
Arcane orb celestial
hydra venom
Diamond skin crystal shell
Energy Armor Force Armor
Shock Pulse Piercing Orb

Glass Cannon
Temporal Flux
Illusionist - can really be anything but I liked the insta cooldown teleport.

That being said this build will have alot of trouble with belial and act 3/4. Your best bet is to farm with it and try and build towards a crit/mass based wizard. If you are really against using the AH try and start keeping crit gear. It will make life easier for you later on.
Posted by Member Nubzhang89 on 8/1/12 06:32 PM #7

In my opinion, your numbers are fine for going through A2 with a blizzard hydra combo. My suggestion would be to use both diamond skin and teleport (fracture) with evocation passive. This allows you to have one of the two cooldowns available almost all of the time and helps cut down the deaths. Also I'm not a fan of using Glass Cannon, since survivability is really the only thing limiting you from progressing through content, while DPS only helps in a few situations.
Posted by Member boostninjer on 8/1/12 07:03 PM #8

CM is my favorite, made it into act 3 with around 5million in gear. I HOPE THEY DONT NERF ITT!!!!
Posted by Member cplummers on 8/1/12 07:12 PM #9

Can't say I'm a fan of CM build, spamming buttons just not my thing. Would much rather do the blizzard/hydra kiting or even magic missile/arcane orb/temporal flux build. Do you have increased movement speed items (above 12% on boots) ie lacuni's prowlers or something? Helps a lot for survivability for kiting builds.
Posted by Member gwatson86 on 8/1/12 07:25 PM #10

Posted by cplummers at 08/01/2012 07:12 PM

Can't say I'm a fan of CM build, spamming buttons just not my thing. Would much rather do the blizzard/hydra kiting or even magic missile/arcane orb/temporal flux build. Do you have increased movement speed items (above 12% on boots) ie lacuni's prowlers or something? Helps a lot for survivability for kiting builds.

Actually, there is still a fair amount of strategy involved in a CM build, unless you have an OP character. I've soloed all of Acts 1, 2, and 3 with about 6 million worth of gear (18k damage, 48k life, 6k armor and 650ish AR) and most elite fights require tactical use of terrain, running as necessary, and timing many button presses so as to get the most out of your freezes, diamond skins, etc.
Posted by Member dgreene359 on 8/1/12 08:18 PM #11

I made it through act 3 kiting with bliz/hydra and a 2 hander, but my dps is quite a bit higher than yours @50k.
I've wanted to make the switch to a 1h and source, but it just seems too expensive to find gear that would allow me to stay at the same dps level.
Posted by Member bvc310 on 8/1/12 10:00 PM #12

Try CM if you are really having trouble. It is boring but very effective. Just stack your crit chance, damage, and try for AP on crit.
Posted by Member Poboyrza on 8/1/12 10:05 PM #13

cmww buffed: ~ 20kDPS, 35%CC ~150%CD ~1.8APS | ~ 20% Dodge, 25% Block, 7500 Armor, 750AR, 30k Vit

i've found these stats to be a benchmark where I rarely die while maintaining good clear speed in a3. working to improve dps and mf atm
Posted by Member skitzor on 8/2/12 02:44 AM #14

Posted by bvc310 at 08/01/2012 10:00 PM

Try CM if you are really having trouble. It is boring but very effective. Just stack your crit chance, damage, and try for AP on crit.

it may be boring spamming the keys, but it does take some effort some of the time. intelligent positioning and teleporting out of danger against some elites can get pretty tricky.
Posted by Member UnKnoW82 on 8/2/12 06:19 AM #15

Hey guys,

Quick question here. I'm kind of a newbie and just got to inferno with my wiz. I'm using the blizz/venom hydra build. I'm having a hard time (obviously) with inferno (even act 1). I have pretty much crappy gear (I've never paid an item more than 30k gold on the AH to give you an idea) and I only have 400k gold.

What are the stats that I need to be able to optimize my build? I was told to have very low life (i have about 9k right now) and to use energy armor with force armor and to couple that with diamond skin. It seems to me though that I'd be better off going for Prismatic armor, higher vit and higher res all. Should I invest in crit damage or only focus on pure int? Attack speed? Move speed? I'm at a lost here.

Thanks for your help guys!
Posted by Member tar0s on 8/2/12 12:47 PM #16

Posted by UnKnoW82 at 08/02/2012 06:19 AM

Hey guys,

Quick question here. I'm kind of a newbie and just got to inferno with my wiz. I'm using the blizz/venom hydra build. I'm having a hard time (obviously) with inferno (even act 1). I have pretty much crappy gear (I've never paid an item more than 30k gold on the AH to give you an idea) and I only have 400k gold.

What are the stats that I need to be able to optimize my build? I was told to have very low life (i have about 9k right now) and to use energy armor with force armor and to couple that with diamond skin. It seems to me though that I'd be better off going for Prismatic armor, higher vit and higher res all. Should I invest in crit damage or only focus on pure int? Attack speed? Move speed? I'm at a lost here.

Thanks for your help guys!

400k? is wizard gear that much more expensive? my barb's 61-62 set which got him through a1 inferno with relative ease barely cost 100k.
Posted by Member robonox on 8/2/12 12:52 PM #17

You can build most of a pretty effective hydra/blizz gear set with 400k, particularly just for clearing act 1. The most trouble you might have is with a weapon, but the price point for high dps two handed blue weapons is laughably low at this point.
Posted by Member AgingWarden on 8/6/12 08:51 PM #18

Posted by Benjidatramp at 08/01/2012 06:09 PM

I did act 2 with my wizard pre patch. I ran a blizz/hydra build with similar stats (less resists) than yours. Here are my suggestions.

1. At that resist level run force armor over prismatic. you will find it better.
2. Trade the 2h for a 1h and source. (if you can find it). It greatly increases survivability. I switeched from 2h about 1/2 way through act 2 as I could not get spells off quick enough to survive.
3. Trade blizz for arcane orb/celestial. I changed to this build and it was great for act 2. Act 3 will be a challenge.

Teleport Fracture
Arcane orb celestial
hydra venom
Diamond skin crystal shell
Energy Armor Force Armor
Shock Pulse Piercing Orb

Glass Cannon
Temporal Flux
Illusionist - can really be anything but I liked the insta cooldown teleport.

That being said this build will have alot of trouble with belial and act 3/4. Your best bet is to farm with it and try and build towards a crit/mass based wizard. If you are really against using the AH try and start keeping crit gear. It will make life easier for you later on.

Thanks for the suggestions, got some good pointers out of that.
I have a some crit gear hoarded from grinding; why do you prefer source over shield? I feel pretty paper thin right now, wouldn't a shield be more useful than a source?

Posted by Nubzhang89 at 08/01/2012 06:32 PM

In my opinion, your numbers are fine for going through A2 with a blizzard hydra combo. My suggestion would be to use both diamond skin and teleport (fracture) with evocation passive. This allows you to have one of the two cooldowns available almost all of the time and helps cut down the deaths. Also I'm not a fan of using Glass Cannon, since survivability is really the only thing limiting you from progressing through content, while DPS only helps in a few situations.

Ahh okay, I really didn't find diamond skin useful after inferno because it just drops too quickly for my liking. I might switch out glass cannon though; you make a valid point, I suppose I just like burning through things more quickly. Patience is a virtue I guess.
Posted by Member shniggies on 8/8/12 11:33 PM #19

is it just me or do all elites now use desecration for anti CM?
i find that before the patch it was every once in a while, but now it seems every elite is hitting me with it
Posted by Member viper3009 on 8/9/12 10:39 AM #20

Posted by shniggies at 08/08/2012 11:33 PM

i find that before the patch it was every once in a while, but now it seems every elite is hitting me with it

How is desecration anti cm? If you include teleport in your build its just 1 button and your back to spamming for cm.
Posted by Member EEYAR on 8/9/12 05:30 PM #21

I find that a ton of elites are using Shielding now, and that is one of my biggest struggles as a CM Wiz. Plague & Desecrator are easy to dodge... you literally have to walk a couple steps away to get out of the area--Teleport isn't even that necessary, although I'd still recommend to have it in your CM build.
Posted by Member sabin on 8/10/12 04:20 PM #22

Posted by shniggies at 08/08/2012 11:33 PM

I heard a bunch of people say that desecrator seemed to do a lot more damage after one of the patches a week or 2 ago, but I never saw any specific data to prove this. Regardless, you can repeatedly cast teleport-safe passage to stay on top of it. If you are undergeared, then just use teleport to a safer spot and keep up your assault. If an area becomes too much of a mine field, just kite them to another spot and start again.
Posted by Member EEYAR on 8/11/12 05:54 PM #23

I think one of the patches made it so that those moves (Arcane/Desecrator/etc) are only lessened by Armor and not Resistance anymore? (or something along those lines.) I have noticed that I die quickly to mortars now though.
Posted by Member kevinxlim on 8/11/12 10:38 PM #24

I gotta say, playing as a wizard can be pretty painful if you don't have a meat shield (barb or monk) or enough dps to kill them before they reach you. Also seems like high resistance only helps a little bit. Can't wait for 1.0.4 to make it possible for me to get past act 2 inferno haha.
Posted by Member shniggies on 8/13/12 02:07 PM #25

I've been trying a melee/cm build and for the most part has been pretty successful. However, plague, desecration owns me... i don't have much loh, and i know that i need better gear in that respect, but man its painful... i'll try teleport, but that ruins my rhythm, but i guess its better than dying...

© 2022 DiabloHub | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact