Funny TV series

Posted by Member douvinsky on 2/16/13 04:54 PM #1

I bought myself this TV series "Chuck", which is about an ordinary guy turned into a spy. It is quite funny!

Still in Season One.
Posted by Member nuhertz on 2/16/13 08:54 PM #2

I would be happy to give you a laundry list of TV shows much funnier than Chuck. I pride myself on being a TV aficionado.

Here's my short list:

Arrested Development
Parks and Recreation
New Girl
Modern Family
Futurama

If you're into something a little more "off color"
The League
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The first season of Eastbound and Down

I would say Arrested Development and The League definitely deserve a watch if you're not familiar with either.
Posted by Member berzerkerxx on 2/16/13 09:59 PM #3

add to that list

Reaper

The main character finds out his soul is sold to the devil.

and Dead Like Me

Posted by Member douvinsky on 2/17/13 12:16 AM #4

Posted by nuhertz at 02/16/2013 08:54 PM

I would be happy to give you a laundry list of TV shows much funnier than Chuck. I pride myself on being a TV aficionado.

Here's my short list:

Arrested Development
Parks and Recreation
New Girl
Modern Family
Futurama

If you're into something a little more "off color"
The League
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The first season of Eastbound and Down

I would say Arrested Development and The League definitely deserve a watch if you're not familiar with either.

A friend is suggesting "How I met your mother". Is this in your laundry? Btw I have watched Modern Family too, that's great too!
Posted by Member nuhertz on 2/17/13 04:45 AM #5

How I met your mother is great too. Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Segel make that show. The main character can be annoying.

The slap bet episodes are hilarious.
Posted by Member AncientWiz on 2/17/13 08:55 PM #6

How I met your mother and Two and Half men are very good comedy shows.
Also The Big Bang Theory is good.
Posted by Member eastdragon42 on 2/17/13 09:24 PM #7

Loved Chuck when it first came out--finished through Season 4. Haven't really gotten into Season 5 so much due to a change in the way the Intersect works. Won't elaborate as I don't want to give away any Spoilers...

Big Bang Theory is awesome too. I believe I was about to start watching Season 5 of that as well. Though primarily I've been watching Supernatural (just started Season 6) & catching up on Grey's Anatomy (Season 9) w/ my girlfriend.

Other series I'd highly recommend at the moment:
Sherlock (the BBC version)
Game of Thrones

The few episodes I've seen of How I Met Your Mother were good, & it's highly recommended by most of my friends. And NPH has indeed come quite a long way from his Doogie Howser days, a show which I abhorred. Check out the Internet hit "Dr. Horrible's Sing-along-blog" if you're a NPH fan. Though at the moment, I don't really have time to download & start on yet another series...! :-0

Just my two cents.. :)
Posted by Member Metta on 2/18/13 12:26 AM #8

My favorite TV comedy is The Office. You have to have a really dry sense of humor to appreciate it though.

For more straightforward, silly humor, I'd agree with The Big Bang Theory. King of Queens is also a really funny show in the same vein.

Family Guy between like, seasons 4 to 8 was amazing. They really went crazy and threw all their cards on the table. I think it ended up hurting the seasons after that though because the jokes became really stale and repetitive.

Can't forget The Simpsons.

Posted by Member ecocd on 2/18/13 03:46 AM #9

It's crazy and quirky, but Red Dwarf is a British sci-fi comedy from the 90s that just revived 20 years later for a single season because of the rabid fanbase. It you have Netflix, the first 6 seasons (6 episodes each) are on there, I think. You either get it or you don't and if you get it, you'll fall in love. Seasons 4 and 5 are the best, but an episode in Season 6 was nominated for an International Emmy, whatever that means.

I'll second Sherlock BBC version, though not as a comedy. How I Met Your Mother jumped the shark quite a while ago, but those early episodes are pure gold. Same goes for Scrubs. Some episodes haven't aged well, but Cheers was a fabulous series for many years if you're up for something with a slower pace.
Posted by Member eastdragon42 on 2/19/13 02:19 AM #10

Posted by ecocd at 02/18/2013 03:46 AM

I'll second Sherlock BBC version, though not as a comedy. How I Met Your Mother jumped the shark quite a while ago, but those early episodes are pure gold. Same goes for Scrubs. Some episodes haven't aged well, but Cheers was a fabulous series for many years if you're up for something with a slower pace.

hahaha, oops--totally wasn't paying attention that the OP was talking about "funny" TV series... :-0 In which case, Sherlock, Game of Thrones, and Supernatural definitely don't fit that bill. For some reason I was thinking about "shows that geeks would probably enjoy"... ;-)

Back on topic: I definitely agree that The Simpsons is always awesome. What little I've seen of Family Guy seemed pretty hilarious too. & Cheers was great back in the day as well, though I didn't actually start to watch the series regularly until Lt. Saavik...er, Kirstie Alley...joined the show.