100M exp/hr run - Guide and Initial thoughts

Posted by Member eleganthobo on 2/28/13 07:42 AM #1

Hey all, just wanted to provide my initial thoughts on the new-ish EXP run.

What is it? MP10 Arreat Crater 2, white mobs only - kill the spiders and the spear throwers. (Reddit had the initial post on this)

Initial observations - faster exp than anything I've tried to date. I get maybe 100M exp per hour, easy. It's actually quite fun (read: not mind numbing like low MP runs) and fast (3-4 minutes per run). I like it because it's a good gear check and now I know what pieces I have to upgrade. You need a lot of defense and a lot of dps to make it efficient. The only downside is you get very few demonic essences (legendaries drop rate seems okay, from what I've seen). From what I see, CM wizards and WW barbs probably solo this the easiest. You'll need really ridiculous gear for monks/DH/WDs to do this, but it's still doable. Group play is also an option and makes it easier.

Variation focused on farming legendaries - MP10 Keeps 2, kill only the whites. I believe the exp per hour is a bit lower, but the chance at legendaries is much higher (see a video posted by Moldran on Youtube). The other thing is this run requires significantly higher defenses - fallen maniacs, skeletons with big axes, and even the porcupines hurt. a lot.

Finally, I'll quickly explain the build i use (which might be helpful for other barbs), it is a slight variation on the WW build, but tuned to my gear.

Standard skills (I wont go over these, look up WW build)
- Whirlwind hurricane
- Battle Rage - Into the Fray
- WoTB - Thrive on Chaos
- Sprint - RLTW
- Passives - Ruthless / Weapons Master

Unique skills for this run
- Rend (Ravage or Lacerate) - this is actually the main DPS skill, a rend, then ww/sprint, then one more rend usually kills all the spider mobs.
- Overpower Killing Spree, Overpower Crushing Advance, Warcry Impunity - From most offensive to most defensive, switch these based on your gear - I tried using killing spree, but I felt a bit too squishy so I'm using Crushing Advance now.
- Passive - Brawler, Bloodthirst, Superstition/Tough as Nails/Nerves of Steel - Again from most offensive to most defensive, it depends on your gear here. If you have enough life steal and defense, use Brawler for maximum DPS ... if you have defense but no lifesteal use Bloodthirst... if you need armor, use Tough as Nails/Nerves of Steel... if you need elemental, use Superstition.

Note: This build does not have a fury generator, so getting your run started can be tricky. You basically need to take a few hits to get BR up, then sprint to get your fury for WW up, then get WOTB up.
Posted by Member Khan on 2/28/13 08:36 AM #2

Thanks! I'll give this a shot to level my barb.
Posted by Member ecocd on 2/28/13 09:25 AM #3

I found when I was doing Whimseyshire runs (change things up) I could build up Fury by hopping to the Cemetery and blasting gravestones. No enemies, no danger, then waypoint to the beginning of the run. It might not work as well with Act 3. You could turn on Bash + Fury Rune in town, WP to a safe place with breakable, build Fury, back to town, swap out Bash for the skill you want. It would certainly take more time than just getting hit a few times, but it could be a lot safer than taking a few hits.

Can anyone think of a safe waypoint in Act 3 that has breakables? Keeps 3 sometimes has barrels at its waypoint. Stonefort always has breakables, but sometimes has enemies. The Tower of the Cursed is always safe, but only has a single breakable which could spawn a single spider. Would it be worth 10-12 seconds to safely build up some Fury? Doesn't sound like it, but it's an option for less geared people trying it.

Does this only work for high MP levels because you don't have to build stacks to get a huge XP boost?
Posted by Member eleganthobo on 2/28/13 10:04 AM #4

@ecocd, getting WW/sprint up takes getting used to, but it's not too hard. I would say going to another waypoint and bashing takes too much time if you're purely focused on getting exp/hour like i am. For this run, I spawn at Tower of the Cursed and go backwards to the Arreat Crater 2 portal.

I've only done MP10 so I can't speak for mp9 or 8, but yes your logic is correct - high mp gives high exp even for white mobs. I have to tell you this run was the first time I've been able to see noticeable boost in efficiency. FYI: I've tested a lot of the other touted 80m, 90m, 100m exp/hr low MP runs people have created in previous patches, and I've never really broke 60-70m/hr on those routes.

MP 1: 25% (up from 10%)
MP 2: 50% (up from 20%)
MP 3: 80% (up from 30%)
MP 4: 120%(up from 45%)
MP 5: 165% (up from 60%)
MP 6: 215% (up from 75%)
MP 7: 275% (up from 95%)
MP 8: 340% (up from 115%)
MP 9: 420% (up from 135%
MP 10: 510% (up from 160%)

One final note on drops: I've heard you get the bonus item drop (can't verify this) without the need for 5 NV stacks in 1.0.7. At MP10, the bonus item drop rate is 100%, which explains why killing only white mobs can still get you a lot of drops. This is especially true at Keeps 2, where all the monsters have decent inherent drop rates (from my experience). In Arreat Crater 2, this is less true because the spider/crawlers,while giving you massive exp, have a inherently low drop rate.
Posted by Admin DHAdmin on 2/28/13 01:43 PM #5

It's an interesting run but I am more concerned about Demonic Essences and Legendaries than I am with EXP.
Posted by Member Juilan1900 on 2/28/13 11:37 PM #6

I've been doing it at Mp8 With Leap, instead of Overpower and I am shaving 20-30 Seconds off a 2 minute run. I get 3-5m EXP per run. And Anuiran No Demonic Essences but I have found more then 20 Legendaries do it in the last few days.
Posted by Member eleganthobo on 3/18/13 04:20 PM #7

Bump... written before (!!) the "200M run guide" but it's basically the same thing but more Barb oriented. 100m/hour doesn't sound as sexy but it's easily doable... :P