So, I decided to build myself a computer...

Posted by Member ZRyoku16 on 2/1/13 09:46 PM #1

As any of you that have played with me on D3 knows, my comp has a little trouble running D3 without horrible, horrible lag. So, I decided to upgrade my current computer. Once I realized that I would basically have to upgrade most of the computer (and just for a new GPU, too!), I decided to just take it a step further and build me a new gaming rig and relegate this computer to 'work and internet' status (seeing as it's 5 years old).

Since this is the first time I've ever built a computer (I have dealt with hardware, like swapping internal modems and what not), I looked around on youtube, found some tutorials and watched them and absorbed the information like a sponge.

Then I went to newegg.com and picked out my parts, talked with an expert on their tech forum to double check that everything was compatible, then promptly dropped about $600 on parts (this computer will be SO much better than my current one that I bought for $2400 5 years ago, and this one was top of the line at the time).

I'm now awaiting the parts and, tomorrow, while I'm in Denver on a buying trip, I'm going to try getting me a flat screen monitor at a Goodwill for $12. :D

Wish me luck on this endeavor, since I'll likely need it. XD

If I manage to put it together and get it running, I'll post some pics if anyone's interested.
Posted by Member Baldy on 2/1/13 10:27 PM #2

Good luck with all the assemblies...make sure you are grounded!!! A grounding strap bracelet works well.

It would suck if you fried any of the nice new components.

What video card are you going to be running and what size power supply are you planning on using?
Posted by Member shniggies on 2/2/13 01:27 PM #3

i love building comps... but the worst feeling is when you buy all new parts. but it all together, and it wont boot :(

i hope you dont have any problems with urs :)
Posted by Member ZRyoku16 on 2/2/13 04:39 PM #4

@Baldy

I'm gonna be using a Nvidia GT 620 and I'll have a 520w PSU. I need to get a grounding strap or an anti-static braclet, but I've got til next week before I get all of the parts in.

@shniggies

Thanks for the wish of good luck, I'll need it. XD

I'm actually thinking that, if this goes well, about maybe looking into building comps and selling them on craigslist or something, hehe.
Posted by Member eastdragon42 on 2/2/13 06:48 PM #5

@ZRyoku16:

Good luck w/ building your first computer! I built the first five computers I owned (as well as many for work), but got lazy on the 6th & latest one. Although what @shniggies says is true (about the worst feeling being putting it all together & not having it boot), on the other side of the coin, one of the coolest feelings is when you put it all together for the first time & it *does* boot...! :-)

I'd be weary about building computers to sell on Craigslist though; probably better to advertise that you "build computers for others for a small fee" there instead so that people can choose the components they want. Hardware these days gets outdated almost immediately after you've purchased it, so the last thing you want is to be sitting on an inventory of computers that no one has ordered (or perhaps a computer that someone wants, but first they need you to change out one specific item like a video card, forcing you to go back & re-order a new one & re-installing it).

Here in Taiwan, I could originally save maybe NT$2,000~3,000 per computer by building it myself (roughly US$60~90), so it was slightly profitable to build one's own system or for friends; however, that's all changed, & most stores here no longer charge for building the systems. Which is why I got lazy on my last system & just let the store build it...

Posted by Member Khan on 2/2/13 10:53 PM #6

Have fun @ZRyoku16! I love building my own rigs. Another reason why I'm a PC guy and not a Mac guy.
Posted by Member ZRyoku16 on 2/3/13 03:53 AM #7

@eastdragon42

That's actually a REALLY good point. Thanks for pointing that out. I might try that out instead. First though, I have to see if I can manage to put this one together without screwing it up, lol.

@Khan

I've done PCs for so long. I'm 25 and I remember playing on a PC back when I was 8, maybe even earlier than that. (don't remember what we had when I was about 5)

Really, it seems pretty fun building a PC and I'm getting kind of anxious for the parts to get here, hehe.
Posted by Member ZRyoku16 on 2/6/13 06:06 PM #8

Well, got most of the parts today. Just waiting on the OS and the RAM, and they should be here tomorrow. I went a little high on the case ($180), but I'm liking it quite a bit. Got me a Corsair 650DW1 if anyone's interested in seeing it. :P

Once I get it together (and hopefully working!), I'll post some pictures. ^^
Posted by Member Khan on 2/6/13 08:03 PM #9

Nice! My newest rig is in a Thermaltake Level 10 Snow Edition. The favorite part of my current setup is the cool looking CPU cooler.
It also helps that my brother works for Intel and he gave me one of
these.
Posted by Member ZRyoku16 on 2/7/13 04:47 AM #10

Wow! That's a very nice looking rig. Maybe once I get some money saved up and get upgrading on this one, I can get something close to that! :P
Posted by Member ninjax on 2/7/13 06:14 AM #11

Im playing on my work laptop lol. It has horrible PC lag at times.. but is generally OK. I wouldn't play hardcore on it though.

I really would like to have a proper PC but my apartment is small, and convincing the GF to have one permanently taking up a part of the kitchen table has proven tricky to negotiate :P
Posted by Member ecocd on 2/7/13 09:48 AM #12

@ninjax. MicroATX! If it's only your kitchen table, it can double as a bread warmer.
Posted by Member ninjax on 2/7/13 10:07 AM #13

Posted by ecocd at 02/07/2013 09:48 AM

@ninjax. MicroATX! If it's only your kitchen table, it can double as a bread warmer.

MMmm I've always wanted one of those. I think it's more the 37inc widescreen that would prove difficult :D
Posted by Member ecocd on 2/7/13 10:56 AM #14

Posted by ninjax at 02/07/2013 10:07 AM

MMmm I've always wanted one of those. I think it's more the 37inc widescreen that would prove difficult :D
Wall mount.
Posted by Member Aaagogo on 2/7/13 02:03 PM #15

did u get a SSD? bottleneck is now the SATA HD
Posted by Member ZRyoku16 on 2/7/13 11:27 PM #16

I got a SATA for now, gonna get a SSD once I get some more hobby money together.

Also, GOOD NEWS! I got it together and running. ^^

I almost forgot that a desktop can be that clean. XD

I'll have some pictures up soon. I have to unhook it as I still need to get it it's own monitor and other peripherals. Including a power cord. >_<
Posted by Member baccarat0809 on 2/8/13 09:10 AM #17

Good to hear it booted up. That processor seems sick fast - wow.

I thought I was doing well with an Ivy Bridge Core i7-3820Qm (2.7ghz w/ 8MB cache) but damn yours should kick the crap out of mine - the only difference really is I should have you beat on boot speed with the SSD - though mine is starting to get full - i gotta do some maintenance and shit-can some programs that I don't use.
Posted by Member ninjax on 2/24/13 03:34 PM #18

Posted by ecocd at 02/07/2013 10:56 AM

Posted by ninjax at 02/07/2013 10:07 AM

Wall mount.

OK so I've slowly been working on the girlfriend and now looking at getting one of these.
The on board GPU actually seems decent and might be able to handle d3... and if not I can just drop a better card in. There's some great tech in these little boards now, really impressed... but you can also spend a small fortune! (yes, it's mounted on marble)

Haven't looked at CPU's yet.

When I get back from my Cape Town holiday in a couple weeks I'll be looking to start ordering =)
Posted by Member zerokewl on 2/24/13 08:36 PM #19

@ZRyoku16

You live inCO?
Posted by Member ZRyoku16 on 2/24/13 08:54 PM #20

@zerokewl

Yup, for now. I'm moving to Lawton, OK at the end of May. (Got family down there)

BTW, got the pictures of the comp on my camera, just gotta find my cord and I'll pop them up. It's not like I forgot or anything. >_>

And in further news, I'm already upgrading the GPU. Had a bargain GT 620 2gb, now I'm getting a GTX 650 ti FOC. Should be here tomorrow. (Now maybe I'll be able to play Skyrim without the delay lag)

Edit: I'll try to get the pictures and the specs up tomorrow. ^^
Posted by Member zerokewl on 2/25/13 05:19 AM #21

Nice. If your ever near the springs hit me up for a beer or two.
Posted by Member ZRyoku16 on 3/31/13 06:47 PM #22

Sorry for the delay on the pictures. Been really busy and forgot to put them up. Here they are!

http://i.imgur.com/ktoWIDX.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/shgQ4v5.jpg?1

Please ignore the books in the background, I sell them, so I have 1000's of them. XD
Posted by Member Khan on 3/31/13 07:14 PM #23

@ninjax Don't tell her. Just buy it and ship it to your work or something. Then bring it home and say someone gave it to you.

@ZRyoku16 Nice!
Posted by Member ZRyoku16 on 3/31/13 08:02 PM #24

I did have to upgrade the GPU from a GTX 620 to a GTX 650 ti. I could play D3 with the 620, but I couldn't play Skyrim, and I managed to snag a deal on a brand new 650 ti 2gb FOC. :P
Posted by Member ecocd on 4/1/13 04:54 AM #25

Pretty nifty case. Did you get some LEDs to go with it? Looks like it has some handles, too, so is it going to be traveling to LAN parties, too?

I just re-installed Skyrim with my upgrade to my mobo and processor! Sooooo purdy now, especially with all the HD graphics mods. Assuming you're not bandwidth capped, you can get some 4 GB of high res textures which can make the world that much more immersive. Skyrim is more processor intensive than a lot of PC games so hopefully that upgrade got some TLC, too.

© 2020 DiabloHub | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact