200M experience per hour run

Posted by Admin DHAdmin on 3/5/13 02:29 AM #1

Chazzers posted this video of him running Arreat Crater 2 on Monster Power 10. The general idea is that you only kill Stygians and Blood Clan Spearmen while running past everything else. Unfortunately this "200m exp per hour" that he is claiming is only based on a 10 minute run. I am sure over a longer period of time the exp rate would drop a bit. Regardless I just wanted to share the video and show the potential exp rates. The only real negative about this run is the lack of Demonic Essences.

I was only able to hit 105M an hour when I tried this last night on my Monk. But to be fair I don't have the best gear and I died a ton.

Read more at the original thread over on Reddit.

Edit: He has another video where he reaches 160M per hour on a 25 million budget whirlwind barbarian.
Posted by Member Bort on 3/5/13 08:09 AM #2

I tried it, but I suck too much. Died way too often
Posted by Member Raulz0r on 3/5/13 08:32 AM #3

Even myself with my Barb I die, but that may have to do with only having 3% LS, and the APS overall is too low for me to gain enough HP to sustain
Posted by Member NightCrawler9 on 3/5/13 10:59 PM #4

I've talked to Chaz quite a bit over the past months and he's a pretty cool guy. He's been the guy I go too most when talking about optimizing the Blizzard spec the most. Didn't really surprise me when he broke 200 million haha.
Posted by Member zerokewl on 3/11/13 08:05 PM #5

I can kind of do it with my barb... Just kinda
Posted by Member nuhertz on 3/11/13 09:11 PM #6

I actually live with no problem with my Barb at MP10 doing this run. I even was trying to build stacks to get a little bonus from the run. My biggest problem with this map is that it is very difficult not to outrun elites with the WW spec.

I really enjoy key hunting in Act2, going to Black Canyon Mines WP, and bunching up the 2-4 elites I find there to kill them all at once. It's extremely difficult to do in crater.

That said, not an extremely fun run, but nice for a change of pace.
Posted by Admin DHAdmin on 3/14/13 10:26 PM #7

I recently hit 160m hr doing the run on my monk with this build.

It's so much fun. Basically made myself a Tempest Rush Build that wrecks monsters with Wave of Light. Although I might have to try and fit Serenity in...
Posted by Member Bort on 3/14/13 11:08 PM #8

I will give that build a try, since my normal build failed horribly when I tried it the first time.

I didn't have Tempest Rush, so I got stuck in all the elites and couldn't get around them and into the white mobs effectively.
Posted by Admin DHAdmin on 3/17/13 02:27 AM #9

I am only running 120k DPS in my Spirit Regen gear, so my gear is no where near amazing.

I've found that the best Monster Power for me is 8 or 9, as my DPS is a little low for 10. It's much much quicker on those MP levels. However, this video was recorded in MP10 to show that it is possible with average stats. These runs are fast-paced with constant action, and are a lot of fun! Other than my easily avoidable death in the first clip, I do not die very often. Honestly, doing this was the most enjoyable experience I have had in Diablo 3. Clearing Inferno before the nerfs would have to be a close second, too.

Even though MP 8 and 9 are much easier I prefer MP10, it's just way too much fun and a really nice change of pace from mindlessly Tempest Rushing Alkaizer Runs.

I am sure someone with better gear could do a lot better than me!

Video here.

Posted by Member ecocd on 3/17/13 08:04 PM #10

What kind of magic is he weaving? Where's the video of him trying to build fury against 5 reflect damage spearman immediately at the entrance? Or a unique goatman sitting there with 4 spearmen all hitting him at exactly the same time? What about a full run with only 2 spider packs or that occasional 6 second gap with no monsters at all draining WotB away?

I'm going to assume he just knows the map tendencies well enough that he isn't getting stuck in dead ends every 3rd fork draining his WotB away.

I've found this run to be fun when there are a few spider packs and there aren't Jailer/Fast/Reflect damage elites chasing me through the entire level. That happens about 1 in 3 runs which means all I do is spend 30-40k on repairs every 10 minutes rarely gaining experience.
Posted by Member Bort on 3/17/13 10:24 PM #11

I have had mixed success with this run.

Thanks @Anuiran your video helped a lot more than the barb one, since I'm also running a monk.
I struggled with this run at first. Then I had a look at your gear, got myself a lifesteal Skorn and its going much better now. Still doubt that I get nearly as much XP as you guys claim, due to frequent deaths, but its getting there.

Note to other people out there. Trying this with a LOH Echoing Fury and Sunkeeper did not work very good, which works great for my normal runs. But for this to even remotely work I had to adopt a completely new skill set (more or less the one Anuiran suggested earlier on) and new gear.

@ecocd I actually do agree with you. About every second or third attempt I run into complete roadblock mobs.
Waller, vortex, jailer. All the stuff thats normally not that bad can quickly sink you if you hit them in the wrong spot.
Posted by Member Stukthrtl on 3/18/13 07:20 AM #12

Yea, i agree. even in MP5 i get at least 3-4 mobs going through AC2
Posted by Member ecocd on 3/18/13 07:50 AM #13

Now that I'm done throwing my temper tantrum, what do we think is the minimum MP level for this to make sense compared to MP0-1 runs? I was able to pretty consistently make it through MP6 on this run. Recall: Bonus XP:
MP 1: 25% (up from 10%)
MP 2: 50% (up from 20%)
MP 3: 80% (up from 30%)
MP 4: 120%(up from 45%)
MP 5: 165% (up from 60%)
MP 6: 215% (up from 75%)
MP 7: 275% (up from 95%)
MP 8: 340% (up from 115%)
MP 9: 420% (up from 135%
MP 10: 510% (up from 160%)

For me, it would be +215% vs, +0% or +25% so it seems like it still makes sense to do AC2. Someone that can only run AC2 at MP4 might be best off with the 'normal' MP0 runs.
Posted by Member Stukthrtl on 3/18/13 08:30 AM #14

I can do higher than MP5, but it's less annoying to stick to 5 personally. 205k DPS before BR. Still needing to work on my resists, as i've swapped out for AS gear to fight the slow ass Skorn. Just got a LS Skorn so i might not be as bad now. I was doing mp8 an surviving somewhat before the new Skorn. Replaced Bloodthirst with TAN and using rend in my WOTB slot.
Posted by Member Socrates on 3/18/13 01:09 PM #15

MP8 Was the sweet spot when Anuiran and I were doing the run together, I don't know what it would be solo for me, probably pretty similar (for my barbarian).
Posted by Admin DHAdmin on 3/18/13 02:47 PM #16

Posted by Bort at 03/17/2013 10:24 PM

I actually do agree with you. About every second or third attempt I run into complete roadblock mobs. Waller, vortex, jailer. All the stuff thats normally not that bad can quickly sink you if you hit them in the wrong spot.

None of that is really an issue after a couple runs of practice. Casting Wave of Light heals me full instantly, those affixes just cause 1-2 second delay in my run now. I only have about 300 all resist in my full spirit gear and maybe die once every 15th run, it's really not too bad when you get it down.
Posted by Member Bort on 3/18/13 02:54 PM #17

@Anuiran Well, you do have a lot more HP than me, and I'm guessing that is the only reason you can do this and I can't. I think you are above 50k, while I'm just barely above 30k HP.

I ran some numbers. MP8, 9 and 10, no real difference in actual XP gain.
Best run I had gave me an average of 54 mil XP/hour.
My real average is closer to 45 mil XP/hour. So all in all not really that spectacular.
My normal grind runs gives about 34 mil XP/hour, so this is better, but not really worth the effort at the moment.

It still remains a fun alternative to break the boredom of just grinding. :)

Posted by Member NightCrawler9 on 3/18/13 07:43 PM #18

For a bit of a wizard perspective, Blizzard is most likely the best build to use for doing these kinds of runs. I was able to average like 110-120 million experience an hour on MP5, and got as high as 160 on really lucky games. Never tried it using Archon, but when/if I do I'll try it on an even higher MP.

@ecocd I think MP5 is the lowest where these runs start to be really good.

@Bort, I don't understand how you'd be getting that low of experience haha.
Posted by Member Bort on 3/18/13 10:26 PM #19

@NightCrawler9

Well, I don't do projections from a 5 minute or 10 minute run. I sat down, played for an hour and checked my total gain over the time. So if you say you got as high as 160 on a lucky game, what was the actual duration of that game? Did you include any time to restart and repair? I also assume you loot nothing on a run like that.

Because sure, there were parts where I got a lot of XP in a short time, but its not sustained over an hour.

Even on Alkaizer(ish) runs I only get about 35mil XP/hour. And that is with Radiant ruby, MP4, and Hellfire ring on me and my follower. So either I simply suck (which is a real possibility), or I farm too much, or the way I calculate differs from the rest of you.
Posted by Member Mehsiah on 3/18/13 11:02 PM #20

Mmmmm Idk whats wrong but Im not getting those numbers at all.

I do runs in 2 mintues like the video. Im 225k dps unbuffed so buffed Im like Vin Diesel. Only killing the sytgian and the spear man. How do you calculate? Calc after 10mins?

*Edit: Also did a 10 min non stop marathon, only 96mil.. What...?*
Posted by Admin DHAdmin on 4/3/13 02:58 AM #21

Looks like this is being nerfed next patch :(

Scorpions have had their XP reduced. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. We looked and considered buffing everything else instead, but in light of the multiplayer buffs we were already providing, we didn't want to inflate the game as a whole even further.

Specifically, Scorpions have had their XP reduced by 75%. That probably sounds like a lot at an emotional level, because it's never fun to have a source of XP reduced by that much, but I hope some can agree if you think about it - a mallet lord is worth 1.5x the xp a scorpion is. And that's not just mallet lords, most of the monsters in the game are within a certain reasonable ratio of one another and the scorpions were a very obvious outlier.
Posted by Member Raulz0r on 4/3/13 03:59 AM #22

about time I guess, this is not a fair route, right now Scorpions give same exp as a Phasebeast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57gK0JwF2lY
Posted by Admin DHAdmin on 4/3/13 04:01 AM #23

Posted by Raulz0r at 04/03/2013 03:59 AM

about time I guess, this is not a fair route, right now Scorpions give same exp as a Phasebeast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57gK0JwF2lY

Funny, he used my guide in his video. Can't complain about free publicity!
Posted by Member Raulz0r on 4/3/13 04:23 AM #24

yeah he mentioned the site :)
Posted by Member Mehsiah on 4/3/13 10:29 AM #25

Looks like I need to hit 100 asap then, sitting at 94 right now.

© 2023 DiabloHub | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact